Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Mark Leibert

1. How long have you been in Atlanta? What brought you here?
It has been almost 9 years since we moved here for a job opportunity. After 2 years in a small Virginia town, it was thrilling to sense all of the possibilities. I try to maintain that perspective.


2. Did you go to art school? Do you have any degrees?
I attended Berkeley for my undergraduate years and RIT for my graduate work.


3. Tell us how you got your start as a working artist.
I had my first studio in college - a live/work space in an old warehouse literally at the end of the tracks. This was the first taste I had of having a working studio. Over the years I have maintained some sort of work space, some better than others.






4. What are you working on in your studio now?
I have been working on a new body of paintings and drawings. The current work is exploring narrative elements that pull from current social concerns, bio-engineering, folktales, and mythology.


5. What is it like to be an artist in Atlanta today? How can Atlanta improve?
To be an artist anywhere is a challenge. It is a blessing and a curse to pursue my passion. Atlanta has given me more support than any other, yet at the same time I have concerns about the sustainability of a career here. We have an affordable city with the promise of travel to national or international venues and events. One unfortunate trait of this city is the lack of self confidence. For many collectors validation comes from other cities and institutions.


6. What is the role of an artist in society? How do you see your role in this way?
I don’t believe there is any one role for an artist. The current art world has become too corporate. For me personally I think the best way is to pursue one’s curiosity. I like to experiment with something new every day. The process is one of the most enjoyable parts of the practice. As for the role itself, I attempt to document and filter the world from the only vantage I have.






7. What is the job of Art?
I imagine my answer might change from year to year. Art can stimulate and agitate on a multi-sensory level. Art should help change one’s point of view.


8. Does Atlanta have a specific role to play for Art/ Artists?
It is hard to pinpoint what Atlanta is exactly. It is very easy to start things here, which allows for inspiring new projects and initiatives. In many ways the community is stronger than ever with a lively dialog, exhibition and event schedule. At the same time established galleries are closing. I’m hopeful - the next generation has energy and excitement.


9. Do you have any advice for younger artists?
Avoid taking on too much in the way of school loans. Think for yourself. One step at a time. Find a mentor. 

http://www.markleibert.com/